This page offers a list of books and videos that club members have found useful over the years. It is by no means exhaustive though – there are plenty more great titles out there!
- Hillwalking Essentials (Summer hillwalking and mountaineering skills)
- Winter Essentials (Winter hillwalking and mountaineering skills)
- Water Hazards in the Mountains (Dealing safely with large streams, rivers etc)
- Alpine Essentials (Skills for climbing mountains in the Alps and greater ranges)
- Off-Piste Essentials (Skills for ski touring / ski mountaineering)
These can all be purchased from the MCoS website by DURC members at a discount (since DURC is affiliated to the MCoS).
The Munros – Scotland’s Highest Mountains – by Cameron McNeish
An excellent breakdown of all of the munros by area, with routes described for each one. One of the most popular munro guidebooks due to the fantastic photographs and
maps and the clear layout.
Munro Almanac – by Cameron McNeish
An ideal book that is small and robust enough to fit in your pocket
or rucksack. Providing loads of information about each munro itself and
also what is in the surrounding area. Not detailed route directions but a
great guide to have with you.
Skye Scrambles – by Noel Williams
This pocket guidebook is an almost essential companion if you are attempting any of the munros of the Black Cuillin on the Isle of Skye – maps alone aren’t really good enough here, but consider the Harvey Cuillin map too.
SAS Mountain Skills – from the SAS Active Library
A superb book for everyone that fits in your pocket and comes with a
plastic sleeve to protect the book. Learn skills and techniques for
walking and outdoor activities from the experts.
Walking in Scotland – by Lonely Planet
This book covers all types of walks around Scotland from an easy
afternoon stroll through to the more strenous mountain ascents. Walks
are organised by area with a good index and a contour map to support
General Climbing Guides
- The Climbing Guide to Scotland
- Rock Climbing in Scotland
- 100 Classic Climbs in Scotland
- Scottish Winter Climbs
Area Climbing Guides
- North East Outcrops of Scotland
- Highland Outcrops of Scotland
- Lowland Outcrops of Scotland
- Glen Coe and Glen Etive
- Northern Highlands Vols 1 & 2
- Ben Nevis
- Cairngorms Vols 1 & 2
- Skye and the Hebrides
- Skye Scrambles
- Arran, Arrochar and Southern Highlands
The nearest place where you can buy the guide books is Tiso
If you want to buy your guide books over the Internet try Cordee Books and Maps
In the University Library
The University Library carries several books and videos of interest to mountaineers and climbers. Check the Library Catalogues for current listings as the following may be out of date.
- The Complete Alpine Experience (video)
- Climbing Rock (book and video)
- New Climbers
- Climbing Wall Directory
- Technical committee Crampons
- Travel & Activity Insurance Guide
- The Alpine Pack
- The Winter Pack
- Winter Skills
- Safety on the Mountains (video)